Saturday 5 March 2011

Its all in the face....

Have you ever tried to explain a Bordeaux to someone who has never heard of it before. Its can be quite halarious. Nine out of ten times people think I am talking about a Sharpei. "There is a HUGE difference!" I always end up saying. "Sounds the same to me." They always reply. What is it about the face that we as DDB lovers like. You either LOVE it, or you HATE it.

        I still remember the first time I saw and fell in love with the DDB breed. My husband, Ike, and I had been trying to figure out what type of dog we were going to get. I had grown up with labradors, my mom and I had bred them, and Ike had bred german shepherds. However, neither of us liked the other breed. It was during a trip to the coast that we met and fell in love with the DDB.

       Ike and I went to Victoria, BC for a vacation and were staying at quaint little hotel near the parliament buildings. We were just leaving to go for a walk around the city and this MASSIVE DDB came strolling in like it was no big deal with her owner. Ike and I turned to each other and smiled. We instantly fell in love with the huge head and wrinkly face..... what a face. We approached the owner and our oooooooo's and aaaahhhhhhh's made the dog a bit shy. This 120 lbs + dog dodged behind her owner and peeked out to keep an eye on us. Ike and I looked at each other and broke into laughter. We couldn't believe that such a shy dog could be such a mama's boy. From that moment on we began our journey and research into the DDB and the more we learned, the more we developed a passion for this breed.

   At time's I still look at my dog Zara and smile..... what a difference between labradors and Bordeauxs. The temperament, the energy level and size have taken a bit of getting use to, but I have come to the point where I cant remember life before her. She is part of our family and we adore the energy and excitement she brings into our home.

    Since buying our Zara we have entered into a new journey.... the journey of breeding. Zara had her first litter in early January of this year and there has never been a dull moment. She had a litter of two. I have to admit I was extremely dissapointed, however, it has given me the time I  need to learn even more about the breed and to test the market for the DDB in Calgary, Alberta and in Canada.

      We are yet to sell the last puppy from the litter, however, we have had people call to send deposit's for the upcoming litter in the summer. We are extremely proud of the two puppies Zara had. They have excellent pedigree and are prime examples of great DDB's.
Puppy, having a little nap.


Zara, stopping to breath after a little run in the back yard.


Zara and her little boy, hanging out with the family at home.

                                    Father, Kingston, at his home in Nanaimo.

No comments:

Post a Comment